“The International Year of Soils will help us pave the road towards
sustainable development for all and by all.”
José Graziano da Silva, FAO Director-General
The 68th UN General Assembly declared 2015 the International Year of Soils (IYS). The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations has been nominated to implement the IYS 2015, within the framework of the Global Soil Partnership and in collaboration with Governments and the secretariat of the United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification.
Soils for Life strongly supports the IYS 2015 and will continue to promote the importance of healthy soils and encourage the adoption of regenerative landscape management practices throughout the year, including celebration of World Soil Day on 5 December.
The International Year of Soils aims to be a platform for raising awareness on the importance of sustainable soil management as the basis for food systems, fuel and fibre production, essential ecosystem functions and better adaptation to climate change for present and future generations.
The objectives of the IYS are to:
- create full awareness of civil society and decision makers about the fundamental roles of soils for human’s life;
- achieve full recognition of the prominent contributions of soils to food security, climate change adaptation and mitigation, essential ecosystem services, poverty alleviation and sustainable development;
- promote effective policies and actions for the sustainable management and protection of soil resources;
- sensitise decision-makers about the need for robust investment in sustainable soil management activities aiming at healthy soils for different land users and population groups;
- catalyse initiatives in connection with the SDG process and Post-2015 agenda;
- advocate rapid enhancement of capacities and systems for soil information collection and monitoring at all levels (global, regional and national).
Explore our site and visit the FAO Soil Portal for a broad range of resources on soil degradation, restoration, biology, health and management.
Join in acknowledging the International Year of Soils on Twitter with the hashtag #IYS2015.